Wednesday, January 29, 2014

act like a banana, and SPLIT!

I don't know about you, but flexibility was not something I was blessed with. Maybe it was my lack of ballet and gymnastic classes as a child, my love for rough and tough sports, or just pure genetics.  From the waist up, I am as limber as a rubber band, but from the waist down is no bueno, and believe me my hips don't lie.

Splits were always something that I wished I could do, but never something I actually worked for. I secretly hoped that one day I would just wake up and be that flexible. Keep dreaming Olivia. The splits are not something that are easily obtained (I being a perfect example) and many people struggle with hip flexibility. (Yay, I'm not alone!) Hip flexibility is key in surfing to achieve mobility and giving maneuvers fluidity.  Even though achieving the splits isn't a requirement to be able to surf, I felt that it was a good goal to be able to visually see flexibility results. So I decided to kick my old habits and up my stretching!

I already have a basic routine of stretching for pre/post workouts and surfs thanks to my Gyrotonics instructor Cathrine. For those of you who do not know what Gyrotonics is, let me explain. Even though it sounds like a class for a mad scientist, it is actually a form of working out and rehabilitation. It both gentle and vigorous, yet strengthening core exercises that teach you to control all parts of your body with fluid and graceful motions. You work to extend, expand and open your muscles and joints with breath and motion in order to achieve flexibility and strength. Sounds crazy, I know, but it has been the most amazing experience for my body. (For more information about Gyrotonics, or to find an instructor near you, check out this link https://www.gyrotonic.com/article.aspx ) Anyway, Cathrine is a former ballerina and now instructs ballet, dance and gyrotonics. Let's just say she is my idol when it comes to flexibility and grace. I knew she would be a great person to talk to in order to kick start my path to doing the splits. And boy I was right. I mean shoot, I give mad props to dancers for some of the crazy things they do to maintain their flexibility, because I had to do some of them and they are HARD!!! (See the picture below for proof!) But I don't own expensive Gyrotonic machines, and I barely have room to exercise in my tiny studio, so my regimen had to work with the little I have.


Here are some of my favorite stretches for achieving the splits;

1. V-Stretch: Sit on the ground with your legs extending in front of you in a V shape. I sit in this stretch for about 20 minutes a couple times a day. As you breath and relax into the stretch, continue to move your legs farther and farther apart and widen your V. You can increase the intensity of the stretch by reaching your finger tips to the center (between the V shape created with your legs) as well as left and right.

2. Butterfly Stretch:Sit on the ground with your feet and heels touching and your knees extended outwards. Draw your feet as close to your pelvis as possible and draw your knees to the floor. This was extremely hard for me at first and my knees were almost a foot off the floor on each side. So don't be discouraged if you cant do this right away. I sit in this stretch daily while I am watching TV, reading a book or even eating breakfast.

3. 4-Square Stretch: Sit on the floor (similar to sitting Indian style with one leg crossed over the other) but instead, overlap your legs so that your feet and knees align, making a "square" shape. Lightly press the knee that is on top so that it touches your foot that is under it. You will feel a very intense stretch in your hips. Sit in this position for several minutes, and then switch legs to stretch the other side.

These are just a few of my favorites that you should incorporate into your daily stretch routine of stretching your whole body. Achieving the splits will take time and a lot of dedication, but if you put in the time you will see results! I will check back in with an update of how my stretches are going the closer I get to the splits. Are you ready for the challenge? Comment with your progress, results, and what your favorite stretch is!!

Let the stretching begin!! :)














No comments:

Post a Comment