Monday, January 27, 2014

from land to sea...

Even though my heart always belonged to the ocean, I was stuck on land. I grew up in the small town of Lodi in Northern California. Only two hours from the sea, and two hours from the snow, it could be considered ideal. It is the kind of place where you always see someone you know at the store, or they know you. My family, on both sides, had several generations established in Lodi, and for that, getting away with anything was nearly impossible...thanks mom and dad! The coolest place in town was the movie theater and Foster's Freeze and everyone at House of Coffees knows your usual order. (If you are from Lodi you totally get all of those references...if you aren't from Lodi, well, lucky you.)


My childhood was spent in a country home surrounded by vineyards and orchards. Oh so completely different from saltwater and sand. With two older sisters, an older brother, and a younger brother, there was always something to do and trouble to be made. I was a total tom-boy with major attitude and sass.(Don't be fooled by the photo above folks, I was not an innocent as I appear.) I loved the outdoors and being able to run free, but I belonged in the water. I am pretty sure I learned to swim before I could even walk, as with all of my siblings as well. Water was our sport. We were all swimmers and water polo players with an intense competitive drive. Probably the cause of why any game I play is never just "causal" or "for fun". I had to win...of course. With so many siblings, there was always someone to impress or have to beat. Congratulations were never just a pat on the back, but rather a lecture about "you know, if you would have done this, you would have been so much better". But I won?...nope not good enough. A lot of it was out of sarcasm and for joke, but part of us really wasn't kidding. I remember teasing each other and saying "just remember, if you don't win, you don't get water or food". We were TOTALLY kidding then. My family never made me do anything I didn't want to. I never did the typical girl sports of dance, ballet or gymnastics (and that is why I lack so much grace). Oh gosh it would have taken an army to get a bow in my hair! I was able to choose the sports I wanted to do and just told to do my best and have fun. Yeah, freakin, right. I wanted to win at everything I did. Every sport was a new challenge and opportunity for success. From swimming, to water polo, to soccer and then golf, I made my rounds. I was always the smallest on my team, and the most underestimated. But it's not the size that matters, it is the heart. I was no prodigy at any of the sports I did, but I worked hard to be the best player I could be. I learned so much from every loss and every win, every teammate and every coach, and for that, I thank you all. You played a huge role in who I am today and the meaning of work ethic.

Toward the end of high school, decisions had to be made of where to attend college. I had worked hard to keep good grades in hopes of going to a University. I decided to go to culinary school and pursue a career in baking and maybe one day own my own bakery. I loved to make sweets and treats, and a hands on school experience was what I thought I wanted. I went to school for two years until I got a job offer that required me to move to San Diego. I jumped at the chance and packed up my little car with what I had, set school aside, and headed south.

I eventually found my own place in Solana Beach. In a tiny studio above a sushi restaurant, a block from the beach, was where I fell in love. My first love was surfing. Could you ask for anything better? My only neighbor was an avid surfer, and when he found out I was interested in the sport, he walked over with an extra board and said "Here, this is now yours. Go rip". I was hooked. My entire day began to revolve around surfing. I was in the water, twice a day, three times a day, and sometimes more. I couldn't get enough. I was exhausted and on a high I had never experienced with any other sport before. My neighbor, Dan, showed me the ropes, gave me fitness advice, and totally took me under his wing and became my coach. A year and a half and 5 boards later, and I am still as in love as I was from day one.

No comments:

Post a Comment